Back in the old country after a full and challenging year. In honour of the switch to the southern hemisphere, the list returns to it’s original Summer title. There’s a lot of ‘funny’ this year. Lucky you! I’ve decided to put an asterisk next to pieces that I especially liked for those who prefer a slimmer list.
- Commuting: a life sentence for academics
- This Is How You Kill a Profession
- What is the point of a university press?
- The Momo signal
- Who Is John Frum?
- How Many Bones Would You Break to Get Laid?
- Courtney Adamo, Amelia Fullarton, and Other Instagram Influencer Mamas Are Living the Dream in Byron Bay
- How Cultural Anthropologists Redefined Humanity
- *Do human beings have an instinct for waging war? – David P Barash | Aeon Essays (Nice take on how ethnography is abused to make universalising claims)
- Why Symbols Aren’t Forever – Issue 76: Language – Nautilus